About Fair Trade
Fair Trade is an alternative approach to international trade and is a movement to use the power of our everyday consumption to create opportunity for marginalized people all around the world. In general, companies and organizations that call themselves "fair trade" commit to following an internationally agreed upon set of principles or core values. These principles make fair trade as a holistic approach to creating better equity within the international trading system.
Therefore, fair trade is it not only about paying a fair wage, but also building capacity, committing to work with marginalized people who need these opportunities the most, being good stewards of the environment, respecting cultural traditions, working collaboratively and engaging the producers in the decision-making process and developing long-term relationships among other things.
Fair Trade Principles
- Creating Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers
- Developing Transparent and Accountable Relationships
- Building Capacity
- Promoting Fair Trade
- Paying Promptly and Fairly
- Supporting Safe and Empowering Working Conditions
- Ensuring the Rights of Children
- Cultivating Environmental Stewardship
- Respecting Cultural Identity
Fair Trade Resources